The current Abbey was substantially completed by 1180. The 431 feet (131 m) tall spire, and the tower it was built upon, collapsed in a storm around 1500 destroying much of the church, including two thirds of the nave and the transept. The west tower fell around 1550, demolishing the three westernmost bays of the nave. As a result of these two collapses, less than half of the original building stands today.
The quiet attractive South Cotswold town near the Wiltshire/Gloucestershire border is within 30min.drive of Chippenham.
(photo by kind permission of www.hobbiesphotographic.co.uk)